About the course
If you want to learn how to use Puppet for configuration management and automation, or you've been put in charge of an established Puppet infrastructure, this is the course for you. This course is suitable for complete beginners and those with very limited experience – we run other courses for more experienced users.
This is a hands-on course. At the end of this course you should:
- Understand the reasons to apply configuration management to your environment.
- Be able to install Puppet from your distribution repositories and configure a basic Puppet client/master deployment.
- Understand how Puppet agents are authenticated and be able to manually generate certificates.
- Be able to write simple configuration manifests including dependencies.
- Be able to execute puppet to both preview, and apply, configuration manifests.
Note: These are the topics normally covered but might alter slightly depending on the needs of the attendees.
Puppet beginners and those with very limited experience.
Some knowledge of Linux is essential. A basic level of shell scripting is helpful but not vital. While Puppet is able to effectively manage Microsoft Windows hosts, this module focuses on the Linux/Unix space. The concepts are transportable; however we would recommend that Windows engineers first familiarise themselves with a user-friendly Linux such as Ubuntu.