Introduction to Silverstripe development (Wellington)
About the course
This course is for developers who would like to know how to use Silverstripe to build web applications, using common and well supported modules (Add-ons).
Students will leave the course with an understanding of what Silverstripe is, what its out of the box features are; and practical, hands-on knowledge of how to use it to build websites.
After an introduction, students will be hands-on; gaining practical knowledge and experience in many aspects of Silverstripe development by creating a small website they can take away at the end of the day.
We will cover the following topics:
- What is Silverstripe and the Silverstripe framework
- What a basic installation of Silverstripe provides and composer
- An overview of the CMS interface and how content authors upload images, create pages, and alter site settings
- How to use composer to download and install commonly used add-ons for Silverstripe to get a site running
- Normal set up, site configuration, project structure
- Page creation and adding fields to the CMS interface
- The ORM, Dataobject creation and object relationships
- Themes and template syntax (loops, conditionals, outputting data)
- Where to find add-ons, themes, and how to get help
- Installing some additional, helpful add-ons, using Composer
- Creating and processing forms.
Note 1: These are the topics normally covered but might alter slightly depending on the needs of the trainees during the course.
Note 2: Almost all that is taught about Silverstripe development on this course can apply to any web application development.
The course is aimed at PHP developers wanting an introduction to Silverstripe development.
Students should have some experience with PHP, HTML, and CSS. Experience with REACT, Git, Composer, and the command line would also be helpful.